Saturday, May 11, 2013

To be or not to be…afraid of or fascinated by dragonflies


I’ve always been afraid of dragonflies but somewhat fascinated by them. Nice colors, “fast and furious” as I like to say about their rapidity in flight and moves. Now, reading more about this amazing insect as I’ve done some research for this material, I must confess I like them more and I’ll stop being afraid of dragonflies.

It seems that the dragonfly symbolizes mental and emotional maturity and the understanding of the deeper meaning of life. As I found out from a website, “the dragonfly’s agile flight and its ability to move in all six directions exude a sense of power and poise - something that comes only with age and maturity”.

It’s weird though how differently this insect is perceived in various cultures. While in Asia and America it has a positive meaning (it is a symbol of power, agility and victory in Japan; Chinese people associate the dragonfly with prosperity, harmony and as a good luck charm; amongst Native Americans, it is a sign of happiness, speed and purity), in Europe and Australia the dragonfly has funny nicknames like Devil’s Needle, Horse Stinger or the snake’s servant.

However you call them, the dragonflies below are harmless and they’re really beautiful. Besides the images I found on the internet, I am proud to show you my silver dragonfly brooch from my own collection. J


                Lalique dragonfly woman corsage ornament (1897–1898)

Pearl and Diamond Plaque Brooch, French, circa 1940 - via Fred Leighton

Dragonfly necklace from Commelin of Paris, via Forbes
Art Nouveau dragonfly ring by Lucien Gaillard (1861-1933)

Folie des Prés Fairy clip, 2003, Midsummer Night’s Dream collection
And ta-daa, this is my dragonfly brooch:




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home